View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Accessing the broken Challenge Mode? 
Rookie

Post Accessing the broken Challenge Mode?
Hey everyone, no idea where to post this so thought I’d put it in General. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what to change within the tethealla files so you can actually get into challenge mode. I knows it doesn’t work and im only asking about how to do it on a local server as we obviously cant access it on anywhere but SCHT for now (at least I don’t think we can).

Like I said, I know it doesn’t work and theres big problems with enemy xp and item drops/pickups etc but I’ve read around all over the place about people getting cmode to a working state as in actually being able to go on and test it but all those guys seem to have given up on fixing all of the bugs in it and disappear without releasing how far they got with it. I just think it might be handy to know how to get that far, even if it does crash and disconnect you every five seconds. At least then it might make it easier for someone to make a bit of progress with getting it working on the proper servers.

With pioneer2.net down now it makes it even harder to find about this stuff. I don’t wanna be another one of those guys who keeps asking when challenge modes gonna be working because I know theres no answer for that. It just seems that for all the times the questions asked, no progress seems to be made. So yeah, if anyone can tell me what files/code to edit to removes the message saying cmode isn’t currently available and actually letting u enter a broken version of cmode on a local host it would be appreciated, even if there are gonna be game breaking problems with it?

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:58 am
色とりどり

Post Re: Accessing the broken Challenge Mode?
ship_server.c
Code:
            if (client->decryptbuf[0x52])
               Send1A ("Challenge games are NOT supported right now.\nCheck back later.\n\n- Sodaboy", client);
            else
            {

Either comment out all of this as well as the closing } for that else or change the condition in the if statement to something that will never occur.
Or if you'd like, you can simply change that else to if(1) or something of that sort.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:22 pm
Rookie

Ah thank you Choko, thats exactly what I was looking for, i'll give this a try as soon as I get chance tomorrow. Much appreciated.

By the way if anyone is working on challenge mode at the moment then feel free to post your progress here. Im not expecting any replies but you never know...

Thanks again.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm
Senior

Possible to hex edit that in ship_server.exe? I see the comment inside the exe.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm
色とりどり

Why would you want to access the broken challenge mode if you don't have access to the source?

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:20 pm
Senior

It's just hex editing is simpler, but I'll take that as a "you can only get cmode to work with source editing"

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:10 pm
Rookie

Hmm, sorry to ask, but could someone tell me exactly what to do to compile the ship_server after editing. Im obviously doing something wrong. What software definitely works and what files to include etc would be appreciated.

Thanks once again!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:40 pm
色とりどり

A c/c++ compiler (with linker obviously) is required. Visual C++ is a decent free one. Run either the sln or vcproject file and then build (ctrl + shift + b) it after making the changes needed.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:56 pm
Rookie

Managed to compile the server now no problem thanks Choko. Just changed the 'else' to 'if (1)' and it let me in.

Trying to test it on a local server though, running 2 clients on the same pc, as soon as you talk to the guild lady to join a challenge game and it goes to load the challenge quests the ship_server crashes 'stopped responding and needs to close' error and both clients get disconnected.

Would that be a problem with the code or something else? If its easy to fix then I'd be happy for the advice but if its gonna become a pain then its probably not worth it just to check out the mode. I just thought it might be possible to get around the item/xp glitches by using gm commands (on local server obviously) just to see how the mode operated. Didn't realise there might be problems actually loading it.

Anyway, once again thanks in advance Choko!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm
色とりどり

Can you load other quests?
Also, try to debug it and see what line crashes you.

Dragon: I presume that you could access it through hex editing by changing the jump hex to its opposite (ie je to jne [74 to 75 or something like that]), but since it is readily available through the source, and accessing the broken challenge mode is pretty much pointless, you'd have to figure out the rest on your own. I'd recommend just going the source route if you want to access it anyway. If you plan to make any changes you'd need the source to make them anyway.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next